🚨 The Challenge
Empowering small local businesses to advertise themselves and helping them find their way back after the pandemic.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a severe impact on global economies – especially small local businesses in India – who couldn’t sell their products and services, let alone turn a profit. In celebration of Diwali – India’s festival of lights – Mondelēz International wanted to help local Indian shopkeepers by creating a groundbreaking AI avatar campaign featuring India's biggest celebrity, Shah Rukh Khan.
🟢 The Solution
The #NotJustACadburyAd campaign was divided into two key components:
- Targeted Ads: Initially, Rephrase.ai developed 500 personalized video ads, each targeting specific PIN codes on Facebook and YouTube. These videos were tailored to refer to local stores in the respective areas, fostering a sense of familiarity and relevance.
- Microsite and Personalized Videos: A dedicated microsite, "NotJustACadburyAd.com," was created to enable shopkeepers nationwide to participate in the campaign. Shopkeepers were invited to enter their store's names on the microsite, generating personalized videos of Shah Rukh Khan endorsing their stores. The shopkeepers were encouraged to utilize these videos for promoting their businesses across social media platforms.
🎯 The Results
The #NotJustACadburyAd campaign achieved remarkable outcomes, reinforcing Mondelēz's relationship with local stores and engaging consumers across India.
Strengthened Local Store Relationships:
- The campaign facilitated close associations and deeper connections between Mondelēz and thousands of local stores nationwide by enhancing brand visibility in local communities.
Enhanced Performance Metrics:
- Video View-Through Rates (VTRs): The campaign delivered an impressive 22% higher VTR compared to previous campaigns, indicating a higher level of engagement among the target audience.
- Click-Through Rates (CTRs): #NotJustACadburyAd garnered an 18% higher CTR, showcasing the campaign's ability to drive traffic and capture viewers' interest effectively.
- User Participation: Over 105,000 users logged on to NotJustACadburyAd.com to create their personalized versions of the ad, showcasing the campaign's popularity and user engagement.
- Circulation and Virality: A total of 130,000 versions of the ad were generated gaining 94 million views across WhatsApp, YouTube, Facebook, and other social media platforms, amplifying the campaign's reach and generating organic brand advocacy.
PR and Brand Exposure:
- The campaign garnered significant media attention, resulting in PR coverage worth over USD 1.5 million. This coverage further reinforced the impact of the campaign and boosted Cadbury Celebrations' brand visibility during the Diwali season.
The #NotJustACadburyAd campaign also received one of the most coveted Cannes Titanium Lion award.
- Cadbury Celebrations' Success: The campaign contributed to a remarkable 29% growth in Cadbury Celebrations' sales during Diwali, marking the brand's highest-ever Diwali performance.
- Record-breaking Diwali Sales: The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) reported a remarkable 74% increase in Diwali sales, achieving the highest sales in a decade. This surge can be attributed to the campaign's positive influence on consumer purchasing behavior and support for local businesses.
The #NotJustACadburyAd campaign emerged as a standout example of leveraging media, creativity, and technology to forge meaningful connections between brands, local stores, and consumers. By creating a digital avatar of Shah Rukh Khan and involving local retailers, Mondelēz International established a personalized and engaging experience that resonated with audiences across India.
The campaign's success not only resulted in exceptional performance metrics and business growth but also showcased the vast potential of AI-based innovations for other brands to explore and leverage in their future marketing endeavors.